13 March 2010

3 for the price of 1

Ok, I have 3 new movies for you:

Up In the Air
I thought this movie was excellent. I am also glad that this did not win Best Picture at the Oscars last Sunday. My reason for that is because I thought this movie was very well executed, however, it was not a stretch for any of the actors, nor was it a timeless movie. George Clooney did a great job, as always, but he played a boring character. Do not get me wrong, I thought his character was charming, witty & in general a good guy. By boring, I mean to say that this character could have been played by any decent actor. It was not a stretch for George and his acting in this movie was not oscar worthy. On the other hand, Anna Kendrick did a great job. Again, any decent actress could've played Natalie's character well, but as a newcomer Anna Kendrick showed that she deserves to be in Hollywood. After her performance in 'Twilight' I was not convinced that Anna was a strong actress, but once I saw her in this movie I knew that there would be more of Anna to come. Overall I thought the movie was fun to watch.

My next movie is one that I had never heard of, but purchased despite this. I thought the movie looked like it could have been interesting, and it could have. However, Five Fingers was not the thrill I was seeking. The movie was confusing, as it jumped straight into the thick of it without a decent explanation. The acting by Ryan Phillippe was sub-par, although most of his roles since 'Cruel Intentions' have been the same. He could not hold his accent and generally he just did not develop his character fully. It is no wonder to me that this movie never made it to the theaters and did not even come to DVD in the US until 2009, 3 years after it's original release date.

My Third and final movie for the day is a new movie that just made it's premiere yesterday. She's Out of my League was a romantic comedy that was predictable but fun to watch despite that fact. Like in 'Forgetting Sarah Marshall' the lead male is dumped by his long time girlfriend and ends up meeting a gorgeous new woman, falling fast and hard. It was also like 'Knocked Up' where the seemingly unattractive male lead falls for the bombshell blonde he meets and they somehow make things work. Despite the story being unoriginal this movie kept me laughing and I thought that Jay Baruchel did a good job in his first main role.

1 comment:

  1. i will love george clooney forever despite this blog :)

    ReplyDelete