18 August 2010

One Last Farewell

This entry is going to be a little different than my usual entries.
I'm choosing to use ths entry, not only to tell you about the latest movie that I have seen, but also to remember a terrific actor.




Heath Ledger
(1979 - 2008)

I can still remember the first movie I saw Heath in, and I must admit, it was love at first sight. Not only did I think he was gorgeous, but I also fell in love with his acting abilities.
That movie was 10 Things I Hate About You(1999). The film is a re-telling of Shakespeare's The Taming of the Shrew, in which Heath's character is paid to take out the sister of a young woman who is desired by two men who cannot have her unless her sister finds someone.
Whether the movie is an oscar winner or a dud, Heath always acted his best.
He proved ths in A Knight's Tale(2001). Although the film was not the best, Heath was brilliant. He played a poor peasant man who aspired to "change the stars" and become a knight.
My two favorite Heath movies happen to be a couple of his later movies. But I cannot choose which I prefer.
His performance in Brokeback Mountain(2005) was one of the most moving performances by any actor that I have seen. He plays cowboy Ennis Del Mar who spends a summer herding sheep on Brokeback Mountain with Jack Twist [played by Jake Gyllenhal - who also gives a spectacular performance]. Ennis and Jack form a relationship far beyond cowboys.
The other movie is The Dark Knight(2008). Ledger plays the Joker in this batman sequel and does an amazing job at that. I would never have thought to cast Heath Ledger as the joker, but that move was one of the most genius ideas in a long time.
Heath's last movie The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus(2009) was no exception to his brilliant acting skills. Johnny Depp, Jude Law, and Colin Farrell all came together to help contribute to Heath's last movie. It was a great tribute to his memory. Quirky, weird, yet amazing, this movie proves that Heath acted his best until the very end.

No comments:

Post a Comment